Pages

23.10.20

(Bye) Haruma Miura

I can't remember how was the weather that day, because just like any other day, I was in my room didn't really bother about the outside world. Just like most of the days, too, I let my TV on the whole day although I wasn't paying attention to it. Then, I heard the sound of breaking news, which I assumed would be about the new covid positive numbers in Tokyo. However, when I briefly looked at the text on the tv, it wasn't about covid. It mentioned that someone was found dead. Then I tried to read the kanji to find out that it was Haruma Miura. I remember I was initially laying on my bed then quickly jumped closer to my TV as I was trying to grasp the news. Then the text continued saying it was a suspected suicide.

I never thought I would be as shocked as that time hearing him died in such a way. I have never considered myself as Haruma's fans, actually I have not been any artist's hardcore fans these recent years. I still casually follow news about Arashi, but I have stopped buying stuff like CDs etc. I did watch some of Haruma's TV dramas or movies. I am not sure how long ago before the day, I was watching TV and suddenly I felt I had only seen the same young actors for a while and wondered why I hadn't seen Haruma at all. Just after he was gone that I realized Haruma was still actively acting both on screen and off screen (for musical or stage play).

In this post, I would like to write things about Haruma that I didn't know before and about my top 3 favorite TV dramas/movies starring Haruma.

What I didn't know about Haruma


  • That he can sing and it was good!

I knew he was doing musical Kinky Boots, but I had not heard him singing so I had no idea. But then 三浦春馬(read: Miura Haruma) tag in Instagram and Twitter has led me to some clips of him singing. Apparently, he used to sing in an annual year end event held by his agency called Super Handsome Live until 2012 together with other young actors. Prior to the 2012 live event, they recorded an original album. One of the songs recorded was a duet number of Haruma and Kento Kaku, White Serenade. I was so surprised at how good his voice was singing the ballad number. He was also given many solo parts in other group songs in the album. Then, I found out that he actually made a solo debut in 2019 with a single titled ‘Fight for your heart’ and was about to release second album, ‘Night Diver’ in summer this year. Thankfully the second single was released as planned despite his passing, because one of the three songs was composed and written by Haruma himself. The song ‘You&I’ is actually my favorite from the single.

  • That he was an MC of a TV show

I remember a while ago when I turned on the TV late at night, I randomly stumbled upon a TV show in NHK. I kinda regret I didn't check more info about the TV show so I wasn't aware of the regular airing schedule, because it is actually a good TV show. It is called 世界はほしいモノにあふれてる or known in short as Sekahoshi. Haruma was actually the host, together with JUJU. Then I recalled the show I randomly watched that night, it was about a buyer’s journey in France looking for interesting glasses/sunglasses. Haruma was kinda goofy that night. Apparently, Haruma in the show was the most natural version of himself we could see as viewers, not as an actor playing certain roles.

  • That he wrote a regular column which eventually got published as a book

He went to all 47 prefectures in Japan, learning about the craftmanship of each prefecture, in about 4 years. The column which then being published as a book is titled ‘日本製’or ‘Made in Japan’. I finally got my copy few weeks ago and yet to read it. As it is written in Kanji, I am sure it’s gonna take time for me! Lol.

My top 3 favorites TV dramas/movies starring Haruma 

1. 僕のいた時間 (Boku no ita jikan)

A TV drama series, in which Haruma starred as a lead role who suffers from ALS. I think it was the first time I knew of ALS. The story plots successfully made me cry in almost all episodes, even when I re-watched it this year. I personally think Haruma acted exceptionally well in portraying an ALS patient, at least to give an insight to people like me who didn't know about the disease before. I considered this TV series as my most favorite because it is the one which left the strongest impression in my memory.


2. 14才の母 (14 sai no haha)

I watched this drama back in the days when I was still learning Japanese when I had just arrived in Japan. So, I purely watched it for the story and to learn Japanese but didn't really pay attention to the actors/actresses. After Haruma died, I figured that he was playing as the teenage father of the baby. I decided to watch the drama again few weeks ago. There he was, a very young Haruma. Although he wasn’t the lead role, but his role still played a significant part in the story and at such a young age, I think he did his role really well. This TV series also made me cry a lot!

3. 永遠の0 (Eien no zero/ The Eternal Zero)

Honestly it was a bit hard to decide number 3. I was torn between focusing solely on Haruma or to also consider the series/movie as a whole. I decided to give a broader perspective taking into account at how much the series/movie left a strong impression on me. So, it goes to the movie. Although Haruma was not the lead role, he was one of the main casts. I remember this movie quickly became my most favorite one the moment the end credit was rolling in the theater. I almost had no complaints except one, about one actor whom I thought didn’t really fit in the time period of the story. I have always enjoyed movie about WWII, both Japanese movies and Hollywood movies. The Eternal Zero is about a young man (Haruma) who wants to know more about his grandad who was a kamikaze pilot during WWII. As many of the story plots were about those days during the WWII, I would say Haruma as an individual in the movie might not be as a standout as he was in other movies such as Gintama 2 or The Confidence Man JP: Romance, but still I love his role and I love the movie in a complete package.

It is quite surprising that the top 3 were released in 2014 or earlier. I personally think, although Haruma continued to be actively acting, he wasn’t really blessed with any on screen blockbuster production after 2015 where he starred as a lead role. For few years most movies he played were not for the lead role. Even so, I really love his actings such as in mini-series ‘Tourists’ and The Confidence Man JP: Romance. His final acting work, カネ恋, was also heartwarming to watch. Unfortunately, I never see his musical or stage play. Through some articles or interviews, I have an impression that Haruma had been enjoying more or feeling more passion in the off screen/on stage acting, rather than in the on screen one. I think he found joy and felt challenged by the on stage productions, because those were where he could be seen as a real actor, with his acting skill, rather than for being a good looking actor. He was actually planned to play a lead role in musical 'The Illusionist' in Dec this year. While my wish to go and watch his musical play will never come true, there are still 3 upcoming movie releases this Dec through next year, including 天外者 (read: Ten-garamon) in which he played the lead role. Looking forward to watching them all!

Anyway, although it isn’t like the grief I have after losing my dad, Haruma’s passing is surprisingly super shocking for me, maybe because Haruma and I are the same age. He was only 30! But, I think the fact that he decided to end his own life is really hard to understand. It is sad to imagine why would someone who seemed fine is suddenly gone that way. No one knows why, though. You were gone too soon, man..

No comments: