Pages

5.5.20

Covid-19, Ramadhan, and Golden Week

Hi people!
I hope everyone is healthy and safe despite the pandemic happening around the globe. So, how have you been coping with the situation?

I am trying to recall when I first became fully aware of the virus, I am not certain, but maybe back in January soon after I arrived back in Tokyo after spending the new year holiday in Indonesia. A colleague at work also came back from China, so after some chats with him, considering we were sitting next to each other we agreed to put on mask for two weeks. Thankfully we were fine.

But then the number of Covid-19 patients started to increase in Japan, including Tokyo. We started to wonder if our company would consider enabling work from home policy. Thankfully the group where I was working with was quite proactive in negotiating with HR to make this happen. Then I began working from home on March 2nd, so it's been approximately two months of working from home now.

I would say I have been enjoying the WFH so far. Although it is not as comfortable as in the office because I only have low desk, which would cause worse stiff shoulder and back pain if not followed by enough stretching. I am happy that I don't have to spend 40 mins train ride each, I am happy that it is so much more comfortable to do my daily prayers at home, I am happy that I have the energy and time to cook properly. Most of all, I am thankful to Allah s.w.t that work has not been affected by the pandemic. I have been blessed that I only have to refrain from going outside unless necessary to try protecting my own health.

Hopefully those badly affected by the pandemic, financially, will have more ease to overcome this difficult time.

Now, Covid-19 has also made Ramadhan this year so different than any other Ramadhan we observed before. Ramadhan 1441 H started on May 24th, in the midst of nationwide state of emergency in Japan, or even lockdown in other countries. Normally, for Indonesian Muslims in Tokyo, we would gather every Sunday to attend Tabligh Akbar, where Islamic Scholar would have been invited from Indonesia, followed by the break-fasting. However, due to Covid-19, we are now doing it online. Normally many Muslims would prefer to go the masjids/mosques to do the Tarawih prayer, but now we are encouraged to do the prayer at home as most masjid in Japan are closed to prevent the virus from spreading. If we looked back to the days of the Prophet, he also practiced Tarawih prayer at home to show to the other believers that Tarawih prayer is a sunnah.

Nevertheless, this situation doesn't stop us from having a break-the-fast together with friends. With technology, I just did an online break fasting for the first time ever yesterday 😄


Besides Ramadhan, it is now the Golden Week, the long awaited long holiday. In the past two years I spent Golden Week by going for a solo driving trip. In 2018, I went to Aomori prefecture then rent a car to drive around Aomori. Last year in 2019, I went to Okinawa, drive around island, and observed the era changed from Heisei to Reiwa. This year, as I knew Golden Week would be during Ramadhan, I didn't really plan to go for a driving trip. But, not going anywhere at all throughout Golden Week, would be my first experience after 11 years in Japan.

Anyway, hopefully the virus can be controlled soon, and we can be free again to go out and see family and friends. Aamiinn..

Have a blessed Ramadhan all 💕

No comments: